Translate

Saturday 4 April 2015

Should You do Whatever the Fuck You Want? I did

I recently awoke from a 'I can do whatever the fuck I want' phase (hashtag rebel). I didn't think anything I did would have consequences. More than that, I didn't realise I wasn't prepared for the consequences of my actions. I thought society was wrong and societal pressure to conform was restricting. Why shouldn't I do what I want? If I want to throw a cup out of my balcony, I will. If I want to drink too much, I will. If I want to make out with a random guy because I need some action, I will. But, societal pressure is not always bad because it stops you from doing what you are, yourself, going to regret. Because trust me: you will regret breaking your favourite cup; you will regret drinking when you're sick the next day; you will regret the moment of selfishness when you ended up hurting the one person who means the world to you. You will regret it. 

Hashtag (#) no regrets is not always a good way to live. It screws up your judgement of right and wrong. Once you do something against your principles, you will feel terrible about it. Being a rebel is not about doing things that put you in the moral wrong, it's about doing things you think are right like supporting gay rights or committing to the one you love even everyone thinks s/he is severely flawed. If you want to do what you want, do something good, for yourself if not for the someone else. Don't do something wrong that will make you cringe every time you think about it.

Society isn't always right. In fact, it's mean, absurd and downright judgmental. But society is also your conscience when you're own conscience is compromised by desire, rebellion and foolishness. No matter what you do, it's ramifications are going to come back and bite you in the ass and it's not always a good thing, but if you are going to be okay with the consequences 10 years down the line, it's cool - Do your thing. Because like, Adam A. Montapert rightly said, 'Nobody ever did, or ever will, escape the consequences of [their] choices.'

No comments :

Post a Comment